Sunday, July 6, 2008

Freedom isn't free

Happy July 4th everyone! (I know, I know, it's the 5th. Or 6th. I've lost track of days/dates/times.)

Yesterday a friend of mine and I went out to the community center to sell Obama buttons. We pinned them all over 2 aprons, and went out ready to sell... Have you ever felt like a caged animal? The cold reception I got as I walked into accircle created by food vendor stalls, pickup trucks, and a stage with the most well-known local country music group was...well, intimidating. It was the first time I was ever concerned about what people would say to me.

If they spoke to me at all, that is. All the comments were made behind and around me...and it actually didn't bother me. Some of the other local Democrats (Dennis, Harold, Kelli G., Julie) had come out to do some voter registration, and they had some luck. Only some though, which is where the title of this post comes from.

I didn't realize there were ppl that didn't want to register to vote. How can you not want to register? How can you not want to vote? I really wanted Kelli to lead in with, "Do you like freedom? Are you registered to vote?" but she didn't. I mean seriously, talk about patriotism...the reason people fought at all to be free is so that THEY HAD THE RIGHT TO VOTE FOR WHAT AND HOW THEY WANTED OUR COUNTRY TO BE. Say what you will about candidates, the process, etc, etc, but if you don't vote, you can't change it. Period.

Speaking of change, I am getting SO excited for Denver. Only up to $1100 with an ultimate goal of $5000, but I'm trying. (See: DONATE on the right...)

Next immediate goal is to get the other delegates linked in here.

2 comments:

txcheesehead said...

Hey Keisha,

Are the local Dems doing anything to help you? I noticed on their web page they didn't have anything about you going--just convention pictures. Can you get them to put up a link on their page?

keisha said...

I haven't asked yet, but thanks for the idea!