Saturday, August 30, 2008

History books

So all week, and all year, everyone's been talking about how historic this moment was. How Senator Obama is now the first African-American to be nominated for president by a political party. However, it's all been talked about from the perspective of the past; in a reflective way, from the shadows of Dr. King.

Chelsie, Kendrah, and I were talking about it yesterday, about how now Senator Obama will be in the new history textbooks in school...how even though Black History Month usually only talks about Rosa Parks, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; and Harriet Tubman, that now they'll talk about President Obama...and how crazy that is. Crazy, not in a bad way, but meaning how impossible that seemed. I can't imagine what that would mean to me to have a history book/class/lesson that talked about the first African-American president when I was younger. I can't imagine that even being possible 10 years ago, before I even knew that black ppl had run for president before.

And I can't imagine how different this convention would have been, if that were the norm.


All I can say is sometimes, it's good to be there first.

No comments: