Friday, August 1, 2008

HQ = MIA

So I can't find the address to HQ. Something about that isn't right...it's gotta be easier to find than I think. Idk. I just wanna make that trip tomorrow. I signed up to go to a breakfast meeting tomorrow that is a weekly event in Hyde Park (the neighborhood the Obamas live in, although I'm surprised they haven't moved to the South Loop yet). It should be interesting, and maybe I'll get some good ideas for things we can implement in Victoria. 116 people have RSVP'd that they're attending, so hopefully there's a pretty good turnout.

But let me pause for a moment and talk about the "celebrity vs. race card" furor. I mean GEEZ ppl, can we get back to issues here? Oh wait, McCain has no way of winning on issues. I mean economy - same tax cuts for oil companies, but also wanting a "gas tax holiday." So, let's take taxes off of gas, but that allows the gas companies to still charge the current price, and they make that $ in profit. Then, let's give them a tax break, so all of that $ goes toward their net revenue as well. Basically, let's double ExxonMobil's $11.7 billion profit from last quarter for the next quarter and year and 4 years. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Let's talk Iraq - 100+ years of occupation, with no plan for handing over the govt, no plan for withdrawal, no plan for redirecting troops to Afghanistan, no actual mention of working with Pakistan or Iran or Afghanistan to actually get rid of Al-Qaida. YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING. I refuse to allow my brother/cousins/friends/future children to have to go to war like this. People keep bringing up Vietnam - why won't people listen to that? It's not like that never happened, like the scars and effects of that don't exist, like we're not shadowing that conflict now.

Those 2 reasons alone are enough for me to justify voting for Senator Obama, but my personal list goes on. And you know what, I actually agree with McCain here - Senator Obama IS the biggest celebrity in the world, but he actually did something to earn it, and he's a celebrity for doing something POSITIVE, which is the major diff between him and the 2 ladies that you mentioned.

I think it's a jealousy issue. The media doesn't even care about McCain anymore, good or bad, and his camp is realizing that. I mean, I'm sure John McCain is not a bad person, but I just can't get behind what he's standing up for now. I don't understand how you can be at the forefront of pushing for anti-torture measures, and then be shaking hands and buddy-buddy with the most Machiavellian dudes in govt today (looking at you George, Dick, and Karl).

Besides, Senator Obama made the same comments a month ago about the RNC and the McCain campaign: "They'll try to scare you...'He's got a funny name,...and he's black.'" Why didn't the Republican machine say anything then? Is it because Barack just came off of a successful European and "Middle Eastern" tour where the rest of the world loves him and they'll hate us even more if we don't elect him? ***SIDEBAR: I like how personable Senator Obama is that anyone can just refer to him as Barack, as if we're all friends, even though he's to soon-to-be 44th president.*** I don't understand where the problem lies though. Is it because Mr. Obama is correct, that they (and by they I mean the RNC and their cronies) will use their scare tactics to try and suggest things, like crime will go up if he's elected, or that the White House will become some cesspool of sin, like a rap video? I mean, using Karl Rove's henchmen just signals that this will be an everything-AND-the-kitchen-sink kind of campaign.

Less than 100 days away...(I think the official count is 95) and then a dream will become reality and America can truly say we are willing to change, to become new, to revive hope and to actually believe that we ARE the America that we say we are.

I can't wait.

No comments: